Savory Cheese Springerle Cookies
- 175 gm unsalted butter (chilled)
- 250 gm plain flour, plus extra for kneading
- 175 gm finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- Dash of salt
- Preheat the oven to 390° F (200°C).
Cut the butter into 1/2 " square pieces and add to large mixing bowl with the flour and salt.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Combine grated cheese and egg yolks in a bowl. Mix well with a fork. Pour into the dough mix and mix well with hands
- Shapes the dough into a ball with your hands. Sprinkle the work surface and your hands with a little flour.
- Knead the ball of dough until it is smooth.
- Take half of the ball and press it out in a pancake on the work surface with your hands until it is about 8mm thick. As you press it out, it will want to crack, so apply some horizontal pressure on the edges to coax it to stay together.
- Set up your 5mm dough guides (item 10009) on either side of the dough pancake.
- Roll the dough out to 5mm.
- Use springerle molds that are medium detailed and medium deep. Press into dough.
- Cut out the impressions, put on cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Chill the cut out cookies for 1/2 hour in the fridge.
- Bake 8-12 minutes on a low rack in your oven.
- Cool on cookie racks.
- Store in airtight container.
Recipe courtesy of