Lebkuchen Spice Springerle Cookies
4.5 large eggs
12 oz confectioner's sugar
½ cup dark brown suga
½ teaspoon cornstarch)
2 tablespoons Vietnamese cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground anise seed
1 lb cake ﬂour
1. Mix the confectioner's sugar and Lebkuchen spices. Set aside.
2. Beat the eggs at high speed on your mixer until the eggs are a frothy crème. With the mixer on low, add the sugar and spice mixture gradually until combined.
3. Quickly switch out the wire whisk and insert the paddle attachment to your mixer. Add the cake ﬂour with mixer on low.
4. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest 1/2 hour. Take 1/4 of the dough out of the bowl and knead in ﬂour until the dough can be rolled. Roll out your dough to 3/8" for average size (up to 4" diameter) cookie molds.
5. Dust the surface of the dough and your mold. Mold cookies, cut out the cookies and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
6. Let molded cookies dry 8-12 hours.
7. Bake at 290° F 12-20 minutes, until bottoms of cookies begins to change color to a light golden brown.Lebkuchen
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon ﬂavoring (vanilla, orange oil, lemon oil, etc.)
Food coloring (optional)
Combine all ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Add more water if necessary.
Brush glaze on each cookie after baking.
© Copyright 2018, Lee Shepherd. All rights reserved.